Friday, August 17, 2012

A Moment of Clarity

I forget sometimes why I started this blog.

It gets a little overwhelming, you know? There's a lot of television in the world, and I can't possibly watch it all, but I feel like I should. I want to be a well informed blogger. But that means, despite the fact it's just you guys reading, being TV Freak starts to feel like a job. There's always a list of shows I'm supposed to watch, and I'm never caught up, and by the time my DVR is running out of room, I've forgotten what it was I liked about TV in the first place.

And then I watch six episodes of The Newsroom in a row, and I remember.



This is TV that makes me feel something. TV that gives me goosebumps, that takes my breath away, often with the simplest or smallest of moments. The characters on this show are real people, something that doesn't happen a lot on television, and they have flaws and drives and wishes that I understand and like and hate all at the same time. There's a pace to this show, a timing that feels like real life and the best kind of poetry all at the same time, and it makes me think. It calls me on my shit and it makes me want to be a better person.

That is what TV is supposed to be, and it rarely lives up to it. When it does it's awesome.

It's just...

Sorkin.

And it makes me happy.

1 comment: