Thursday, November 8, 2012

Killing Them Softly

Due to the unfortunate death of a television, I'd gotten way behind on my watching schedule. This is particularly difficult right at the beginning of the new season when I'm trying to watch all of the news shows at least a couple of times, so I feel like I can give you, my dear readers, an honest and researched opinion.

My opinion is that the new stuff sucks.

OK, well maybe not entirely, but it's not doing what it is supposed to, either.

Let me paint you a picture, dear Freaks. I was plowing through an overloaded DVR, camped out on the couch for hours and debating even pausing when I went to grab the laundry, wondering if I'd ever be finished, when something amazing happened. Something important.

I burst into tears.



I'd watched so much TV, I was barely even paying attention anymore. And then, the Halloween episode of Parks and Recreation happened. Those of you who have seen it will know exactly when I stated crying, but I'll tell you, it was more than just the sweetness of that moment.

I was genuinely happy for Leslie Knope.

That's why I love TV. Because for five years, I've been watching Leslie Knope's life. I care about what happens to her. For me, it's much more personal than movies because I've invested so much time in these people. I care if they find love, or get promoted, or survive time travel, or avenge the death of their father/sister/boyfriend.

It was also a perfectly written moment of television.

There haven't been a lot of those this year.

And that's also why it was the moment where I thought...

Time to clean out the DVR. I'm done wasting my time with TV that doesn't make me feel anything.

So who get killed?

Revolution


I could go on and on and on and on and on about how stupid and unbelievable this show is (brand new clothes and shoes? and the tattoo/brand thing- who does that? and why was she not dying when she was dying? and...) but it basically boils down to this: that girl is boring.

I don't care if she dies. I don't care if Swashbuckler McBrotherIssues dies either. And that's kind of a problem. I'm supposed to care. It's kind of the one thing I'm supposed to care about. But it's poorly written and boringly acted and not very smart and obviously the number one new show.

Really, people? Ugh.

Damn. I totally forgot to get a tattoo that could be easily turned into a brand in a post-apocalyptic future with no power. And a talented Blacksmith to build me a bunch of them. They shouldn't be hard to find, right? 


The Mindy Project


I hate to give up on this one, but I need to. I love her. I love the idea of this show. I like the supporting cast for the most part. There are moments where I get what she's trying to do.

But she's not doing it.

All she's doing is not being very funny.

I fully approve of Mindy trying to create a female character that we're not sure we like all the time, the lady version of Michael Scott. I actually really approve the effort, in a feminist kinda way. And I wish so much that I liked this show. I'll give it another shot before the first season is over, to see if it has found its footing, but for right now....

Sorry, Mindy. It's not me, it's you.

OK, Little Wayne House on the Prairie was pretty brilliant. 


Chicago Fire


This is a terrible show.

Arrow is much better eye candy.

I can not stop laughing at this picture. 


Vegas


Am I the only one who found this show really boring? I just could not get into it. I mean, it's not terrible, it's just not very good. I think my brilliant Dad was right when he said Quaid and Chiklis should have switched parts. They both seem like they're trying too hard. So is the script.

Moving on.

I will miss the great CGI work. 


The Mob Doctor


I'm honestly surprised this show even made it back after FOX benched it for the World Series, but they seem to be burning off the rest of the already produced episodes. Don't get attached if you're watching; though it hasn't been officially cancelled, it will be soon.

Which is fine by me, I wanted better for Jordanna Spiro. But this is a terribly written show. God, even on Bones they wouldn't have a doctor check a text in the middle of surgery.

Partners


Hey, Michael Urie.....please, please, please stop trying so hard.

He will not stop making this face. 


The New Normal


Hey, Ryan Murphy....you too.

666 Park Ave. 


This show is.....

I honestly have no idea. It's not terrible, but it's not very good, either. I like the cast, it's a bit of mindless fluff, the kind of show that I might keep on in the background when I was doing laundry, or watch on my lunch break at work.

But ABC is totally gonna cancel it, so it doesn't matter.

Oh my god, did you know this was a book?




So what new stuff gets permanent rotation among the established favorites?

Elementary


CBS just knows how to do procedurals. This show is not setting the world on fire, but it is a well done procedural with an enjoyable cast. Jonny Lee Miller and Lucy Liu have great chemistry and I appreciate that I don't always know who did it before the first commercial break. It gets to stay put for lazy weekend viewing when I just want something easy to watch.

Go On 


This show is not perfect. But it has a great heart and some really funny moments. It's becoming more well-rounded and using John Cho more, which makes me happy. Plus, I really, really love Matthew Perry. Like, a lot.

Hey, hottie. Your show makes me cry sometimes. Is it silly if I want your dead wife to be on more often?


Arrow


I also love how many shirtless training montages this show has. Whatever. It's not great, but I really don't need it to be. It's pretty and fun. Surprisingly, I also don't hate the CW's other new schlock fest Beauty and the Guy With the Scar on His Face. So if you're looking for a new guilty pleasure....

Hey there, abs. 


Ben and Kate


I don't know that this show is going to last, but I really enjoy it, and think it's a great fit with the other shows on the FOX comedy block. And let me tell you- Lucy Punch, who plays Kate's BFF, is fantastic. Brilliant. Like Jennifer Saunders level awesome. She alone is worth the watch.

If you are really my friend there might be a little movie you'd know her from....



So what about  you, my darling Freaks? Any new stuff that's rocking your world? Burning questions for the TV Freak? Head to the comments!

1 comment:

  1. i have noticed quaid being a bit more quaid-like lately. he cracks a smile once or twice a show now. there have been flashes of The Grin. but it's still not a good show. too bad. some great cast members wasted.

    ReplyDelete