Friday, April 29, 2011

Till cancellation does us part

Hi, Freaks! Today's post is inspired by the anxiously awaited wedding this weekend, so let's all give a big shout-out to Ruth and Feras! Congratulations, y'all!

Oh, and there might be another wedding this weekend. In England or whatever.

Awesome TV Weddings

Dwayne interrupts the ceremony, A Different World

I can not begin to tell you what a big deal this wedding was to me and my fourth-grade classmates. It was literally the biggest thing that happened all year. Sure, maybe the country was trying to elect a new president and laughing at Euro Disney, but Dwayne interrupted Whitley's wedding to Byron! With a swan dive! Gregory B. demonstrated it numerous times on the couch in Mrs. Powell's class.




Jim and Pam's co-workers are idiots, The Office

I cried. Like, a lot. Like, more than I am particularly comfortable admitting I cried at a TV wedding. I adored the YouTube-inspired wedding from Michael and the gang, which was funny, and sweet, and really character appropriate (I loved that Jim knew it was coming) but the cuts to the real wedding on the Niagara Falls boat had me just bawling with happiness. The final moment, a call back to seasons before, with her head on his shoulder was just....


I am not crying.

There is no Mrs. Will Truman, Will and Grace

Though Jack and Rosario's hilarious staged wedding was a contender, I'm going to go with the wedding of W&G pals Joe and Larry, not only for the well-built storyline surrounding Will's search for separation from Grace, but mostly for the hilarious antics of the detoxing Jack and Karen. Plus, this ep brought you my favorite Jack moment of  all time:



Andy and April's Awesomsauce wedding, Parks and Recreation

In addition to the impressive show runners keeping this surprise from the spoiler hungry TV public, this sweet and hilarious affair gave us great moments for all of the characters; Ron's ex-wife effigy, Tom's list of food nicknames, Andy's athletic wedding attire. Plus, April's sister!



Guys, I just got a great idea for a wedding dress...


Yay, gay, Brothers and Sisters

Kevin and Scotty's wedding, in addition to being crazy and sweet in the way only the Walkers can do, was the first gay marriage of series regulars on network TV. Somehow, nobody pitched a fit. Way to grow, America.


Ok, well... Baby steps.

Mr. and Mrs. Turkleton, Scrubs

Most of the time, I liked Carla and Turk more than J.D. and Eliot, and I loved the complicated mess this wedding turned out to be. Although I'm still pretty sure that they'd let you have the day off to get married, even if you are a surgeon.


Nope, all doctors get married at the hospital. Or by Post-It. 

When your Brother-in-Law is the devil, Charmed

Poor Piper. She spent eight years being a powerful witch and whining about wanting to be normal. Luckily for her, she got one perfectly magical moment when she married Leo in the show's third season. Yeah, it all went to hell after that.


But, damn, it looked good getting there.

The only wedding ever with an invitation for the principal, Saved by the Bell

This wedding was literally the culmination of my childhood dreams.


I thought this haircut would look like this on me. I was mistaken.

And of my parent's, General Hospital

30 million people watched this wedding, and although I was not alive for it, I grew up knowing what it was because it was such a big deal to my parents. I'm pretty sure my Dad even has it on VHS. Hey, remember VHS?! Plus, it's the only time anyone ever rooted for the girl to end up with her rapist.


Or not.

Mr and Mrs. Awesome (and their kids, Totally and Freakin'), How I Met Your Mother

Marshall and Lily planned their perfect wedding, a small affair that got hijacked by family and turned into a crazy mess with Lily's ex, a harpist in labor, and that thing with Marshall's hair. In the end, everything was perfect, as the duo got their tiny garden ceremony before the big to-do, so legendary it even brought a tear to Barney's eye.


Mr. and Mrs. Awesome Hat!

All of them, Friends

Friends takes the cake on great weddings. (Pun not intended, but go me!) I loved possessed Phoebe at Carol and Susan's, and Rachel singing Copacabana in that terrible dress at Barry and Mindy's. Chandler and Monica's is an all-time classic, and I adored Mike and Phoebe's snowy impromptu Central Perk ceremony. No list of weddings would be complete without the wedding king Ross Gellar, from the infamous name slip to the drunken festivities of Vegas.


This one definitely had the best dress. Hot.


Take a break from your obsessive viewing of Lifetime's Royal Wedding of a Lifetime (seriously, were they high when they named that?) to let me know what I missed!

No comments:

Post a Comment