Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Spring TV Preview 2: Cliche Boogaloo

Oh, Freaks. You mean to tell me that there's more TV?

Where will I find the time?

Actually, most of this doesn't look very interesting, so I guess I don't really have to worry about it.

Thanks for being so frequently disappointing, television! You're a pal.


New Spring TV: March and April 


Awake (NBC, Thursday 10/9, March 1)

I've already seen the pilot of this show, which I previewed here, and it's really good. I'll be interested to see if the ratings indicate that NBC will keep it around before I get too invested (hint: they won't), but I'm definitely on board for the beginning, and you should be too.

The NBC's promo department's finest work.


GCB (ABC, Sunday 9/8, March 4) 

Another show I've already previewed here, I'm delighted to add what I expect to be a fun, catty soap to my TV schedule. Maybe it will fill the whole in my heart left by Karen Walker.

Great rack, great shoes, great big glass of vodka... Mom?


Breaking In (FOX, Tuesday 9:30/8:30, March 6) 

Hey, speaking of Karen Walker! The unequaled Megan Mullally continues her sitcom tour by joining the Christian Slater-helmed sitcom, which was bizarrely cancelled and then un-cancelled last year. This show wasn't great to begin with, but it had some potential, so I'm hoping the tweaks they've made, in addition to the brilliance of the former Ms. Walker, will make it the show it could be.

Missing (ABC, Thursday 8/7, March 15) 

Ashley Judd found a TV series that is exactly like every movie she's ever done: lots of screaming and running as a former CIA agent looking for her missing son. Whoo.

Also, what did you do to your face?


Bent (NBC, Wednesday 9/8, March 21) 

I just can not decide how I feel about Amanda Peet. Sometimes I think I like her, sometimes she makes me completely insane. I'm giving this show a shot, but I do not have high hopes based on what I've seen so far. But hey, if it manages to not be a cliche-riddled pandering mess then I'll be the first one to step up and admit it.

The second he calls her outfit a "lesbian pantsuit", I'm done.


Girls (HBO, Sunday 10:30/9:30, April 15) 

This show, about 20-something girls in NYC, has a vibe that confuses me. Is it a genuine coming of age piece about women struggling through life in a way I will relate to, or is it a bunch of hipster bullshit about finding yourself while daddy foots the bill? Either way, it's HBO, and since Daddy isn't footing my cable bill, I won't be finding out.

Sex in the Brooklyn? 


Veep (HBO, Sunday 10/9, April 22) 

Julia Louis-Dreyfus stars as the Vice President in this irreverent, "scripted but shot in an improvisational style" sitcom, also starring Anna Chlumsky and Tony Hale. Anything about that sentence sound bad? Nope. I smell Emmy!

No, you're supposed to practice looking surprised when they call your name...




Returning Shows: 

So what about your returning faves? Well Community is back March 15, Fairly Legal and In Plain Sight on March 16, Mad Men on March 25, Game of Thrones and The Killing on April 1, Bones on April 2, and Nurse Jackie, The Borgais, and The Big C all return on April 8.

Every time you don't watch this show, a Whitney gets her wings. 



So that's all the new goodness coming your way, Freaks. What do you think, anything you're really excited about? Head to the comments!

I'm also starting a new "Ask the Freak" series, so if you need my particular brand of TV-related insight and snark, send me your questions on Facebook, Twitter, or by email (thetvfreak@gmail.com). Specific or general, smart or silly, new shows or old- I promise to answer all of the ones I like.

1 comment:

  1. Mom is the one with great bare feet and a great big glass of wine.

    ReplyDelete