Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Bringing the Heat: Summer TV Preview

Is it hot in here, or is it just TV?

I'm sorry. That was lame.

Hey, summer TV is here!

I know. It's kinda soon, right? I mean, honestly, I haven't even finished all of the little bits of the regular network  schedule, and now it's time to overload my DVR with fluffy summer goodness?

However will I manage?

Oh. OK. 

So what should you be watching?


The Newsroom (HBO, premieres June 24) 

Aaron freaking Sorkin!

God. This show better be as good as it should be. No more Studio 60's, ok, Aaron? Make the show you were trying to make then- West Wing in a TV Studio.

Who am I kidding? The promo almost made me cry.

It's Aaron freaking Sorkin, and he's back with a pissed off Jeff Daniels and Sam Waterston in a bow tie. I just could not be more excited.

Oh, god, it looks like West Wing and Sports Night had a baby.
(It's possible I'm blowing this out of proportion a little bit. )


Dallas (TNT, premieres June 13) 

Don't lie. You know you're excited for all of the boozing, back-stabbing soapy goodness.

OK, well I am. It's Dallas! I'm excited to watch Patrick Duffy spend a whole new season sighing about how he doesn't want to live this way, I really like Jordana Brewster and Brenda Strong, and I am not mad about watching Jesse Metcalfe amble around in a cowboy hat.

Bring on the pool fights!

Oh, somebody is getting a fist to the face. Or at least a highball of whiskey. 


Franklin and Bash (TNT, premieres June 5) 

Zach Morris and the pothead from Clueless are back as my favorite TV man-boy lawyers. This show is guilty pleasure at its best!

Hey! I'm glad to see you too! 


Single Ladies (VH1, premiered May 28)

Oh god, no this is guilty TV at its very best.

I'm honestly not even sure it has a plot.


Anger Management (FX, premieres June 28) 

Hey, Charlie Sheen has a new show. He plays an asshole with addiction and women issues.

So it's new, and different.

Yep, looking good. And not at all crazy. 


Suits (USA, premieres June 14) 

I missed this shows' first season, not for lack of interest, but for lack of time. I have been assured by those whose TV opinion I trust that I will need to marathon in order to rectify this and be ready to go for the fast talking action of season two. Bring on the (fake) lawyers!

Yeah, I can see this is going to be a struggle. 


Perception (TNT, Premieres July 9) 

I'm really happy that Eric McCormick has a show on TV.

I'm not going to watch it.

The whole A Beautiful Mind Helps the FBI vibe doesn't really do it for me. But hey, if that's your kinda thing, this one looks like a good one. Best of luck, Will Truman!

This is what happens when you lose your hag. 


True Blood (HBO, premieres June 10) 

Christopher Meloni joins the gang in Bon Temps this season as the head of The Authority, and here's hoping he came to stir up trouble while he's stirring up trouble (if you know what I mean). I'm looking forward to more Alcide and a possibly dead Tara (I know she's not dead, but a girl can dream), and absolutely no more three-ways at all. For a show all about sex, they sure made that uncomfortable, didn't they?

Anybody wanna place a bet on how long it takes him to get naked? The O/U is at 12 seconds. 



What else is happening?

Burn Notice returns alongside Suits on June 14, White Collar and Covert Affairs will be back July 10. Rizzoli and Isles joins Franklin and Bash on the 5th, while other TNT fave Falling Skies will return (With Terry O'Quinn, no less!) on June 17. The Leverage gang is back July 15. FX's weirdo comedies Wilfred and Louie will join the Sheen on June 28th, and everybody's favorite meth dealer is back when Breaking Bad returns for its final season on July 15th. Happy TV-ing!

3 comments:

  1. your line about 'west wing' and 'sports night' having a baby is even funnier and more apt than anything sorkin has written, and that's saying something. it's also saying something that he actually got the idea for 'newsroom' from me -- but that's another story for another day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Story I'd like to hear, & yes, I've always maintained my friend is funnier than Sorkin ;)

      Delete
  2. Single Ladies? Dallas? Franklin & Bash? How did I not know of these? That is why we have you :) Very happy good news on Leverage, Burn Notice & Breaking Bad, lol. Now if only Netflix would catch up faster!!!

    ReplyDelete