Friday, May 25, 2012

Winners, Losers, and Meh: Season Finale Wrap Up

Well, Freaks, the regular TV season has come to a close. How'd everybody do?

Winners: 

Castle

Dear Bones-

That's how you do it.

Love, People Who Watch TV

Yep, yep. That's how it's done. 



The Vampire Diaries

I should have seen it coming. I mean, it was so obvious, it was a giant pink-elephant-shaped anvil in the middle of the screen. But somehow, I didn't. And it kicks ass.

Now she has eternity to choose between sweaty, sweaty lovers! 



Scandal

Wow, Scandal, I'm impressed. The last thing I wrote about this show was that I hated the smarmy president, and thought Olivia should just get over being played by a jackass. And in one episode, they managed to get me to do a complete 180. I love him, I think he's hot, I'm tearing up over their Romeo-and-Juliet-level tragic romance. Well done, show. Plus, great twisty plot swerves and an exciting cliffhanger to get us all back next year. I'm impressed. Now don't get all Shonda Rhimes next year, ok?

Ooh, this I'm on board with though! 



New Girl

This show is just awesome. Schmidt doing the "White Fang"? Jess and the wolf? Nick freaking out? Pure awesomeness.

Oh, Nick. Nothing a rousing game of True American can't fix! 



Losers: 

How I Met Your Mother

Ooh, such a shocker, the bride was Robin! Um, of course, it's the only conceivable option when the person requests to speak to Ted. Wooptie doo. Ted, meet me at camera three.

Ted, the entire audience cheered when Robin finally gave you the "You're full of crap" speech we'd all been thinking for seven years, and then what do you do? The same old crap. I don't care if Victoria was "the one" at some point, right now you are stealing a woman from her wedding. How is that any different than chasing after Robin or Stella or Zoe? She's still unavailable really, and you're still talking a big game about commitment and then running away from it. With Victoria. Ugh.

I was really looking forward to some character growth from you, Ted.

Also, how could you love someone with such bad taste in wedding dresses?  What's happening on that shoulder there? Is she going to be the Fly Away Bride? 



Revenge

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the unabashedly soapy nature of this show, and therefore applaud the ridiculous explosion; even though we all know they didn't get rid of Victoria Grayson. It's the rest of it that bugs me. I don't believe that Emily, however much she wanted to honor her father, would leave the white haired man as a loose end- he knows she's Amanda. And does it bug anybody else that she has more chemistry with Nolan than she does with Jack? I'm also a little nervous about the whole "The Initiative" thing- it sounds like JJ Abrams, and we all know how those shows end. (Sadly, and with viewers throwing things at the TV.)

Yeah, they just borrowed the set from LOST. (Who borrowed it from Alias. Initiatives everywhere! )



Meh:

Once Upon A Time

So...the curse is broken. Um, show? That was kinda your whole thing.

The face you make when you realize they just made your character irrelevant. 


Community

I know you were trying to wrap it and keep it open for another season, and that's hard, and don't get me wrong, I love any excuse to stare at Joel McHale shirtless, but the whole thing felt really forced to me. Guess it was a good way to start saying goodbye to this show, which will have what is sure to be its thirteen episode swan song next year.

I'm going to miss you, abs. I mean, show. 





And all the sudden I've realized that I'm not watching enough TV. I promise to do better next year, Freaks, if you'll promise to head to the comments with your praises and gripes!


1 comment:

  1. The Graysons need to hire Olivia to manage their scandals. And in another season or two, we'll all be watching (or not) How I Met Your Grandmother.

    ReplyDelete