Wednesday, October 12, 2011

I'm Psych-ed!

After a much-too-long hiatus, USA's awesome Psych returns to my TV tonight, and I just could not be happier to welcome back my long-gone friends.

What?

No, I mean...Obviously, I realize that Shawn and Gus are not really....what I'm saying is....

Oh, shut up. I have real friends too.


We also solve murders while dropping witty pop culture references!
Oh, wait. No we don't.


In honor of my TV friends' return, let's do:


5 Best Psych Episodes


"Spellingg Bee" - Season 1

I knew this show was good stuff because this episode, the show's second, was even better than the pilot, and I'd loved the hell out of that. It's crazy capers at the regional spelling bee, complete with a childhood Shawn and Gus backstory, and it also traded in the usually delightful Anne Dudek for the much better suited Maggie Lawson, beginning the Shawn and Juliet saga.

Best Random Pop Culture Reference:  Bananarama!




"Black and Tan: A Crime of Fashion" - Season 2

This hilarious episode follows Shawn and Gus into the high class world of Santa Barbara modeling, which is exactly as brilliant as it sounds. I adore all of the peccadilloes this one brings out in Gus, making Shawn the less crazy of the duo if only for one episode. The show also does a great job, as it often does, of spoofing not only the culture it's focusing on, but the cliches about that culture familiar to all pop culture fanatics.

Best Real World Advice, Fellas: "Gus, remember the rule, treat a woman like a person, then a princess, then a Greek goddess, then a person again."


The ladies also love a matching scarf set. 


"Murder?...Anyone?...Anyone?...Bueller?"  - Season 3

Shawn tries to solve a murder at his 13 year class reunion, despite having no body, weapon, motive, or suspects. Guest starring the lovely Rachel "She's All That" Leigh Cook, this this great send up of 80's teen movies hits the perfect note for me every time.

Best Homage : Psych does a lot of homage episodes, which I absolutely adore, but this one is by far the best. Hits all of the John Hughes moments, as well as lots of other small teen movie cliches, like sneaking into the girls' locker room, the one that got away, and Judd Nelson. Because everything is better with Judd Nelson jokes.




"High Top Fade Out" - Season 4

With all-star guest turns from Jaleel White and Keenan Thompson, this episode treats us to Gus' awesome boy band days, along with the obvious murder-solving.

Fine, fine, fine. I'm a sucker for Dule Hill singing. And anything related to Boyz II Men. And gold lame jam pants.

Best Theme Song Remix: Holy crap, they actually got Boyz II Men!





"Polarizing Express" - Season 5

This is going to be a...um, if you'll forgive me, polarizing choice. (You don't have to, I'm not sure I do.) Psych has a lot of Christmas episodes to choose from, and even I wasn't sure about this one the first time I saw it. But after a rewatch, it became one of my favorites, and here's why: After years of spoofing everything, the show finally takes on itself. Sure, it's going after the Christmas Carol cliche, but it's also having fun making fun of itself for using it. Is it schmaltzy? A little. Is it weird? A little. Hard to explain? Perhaps, but brilliantly done. Plus, Tony Cox!

Best Line: "Gus, don't be the way Eriq La Salle spells Eriq."

However, I would imagine he'd be on board for you rocking this sweet 'do.




Did I miss your favorite, fellow Psych Freak? Don't be an eskimo pie, head to the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment