Thursday, December 15, 2011

Snap Judgment: Golden Globe Edition

OK, Freaks, I'm gonna make this short and sweet, because I have, like, this whole job thing I have to do, but I didn't want to leave you without the awards show snark I know you are eagerly anticipating.

You're welcome.

So the Golden Globe nominations came out today, (you can find the full list here) and they're....

Weird.

It's the foreign press, you know, so the noms are always a little different than what American boards like the Oscars and the Emmys do, but really, I kinda like that. The Globes are always a little more cable-skewed for TV than the Emmys, and while I certainly think there are a few misses, I'm much less pissed about this than I was about the Emmy nods. That being said....


Seriously, who did FX piss off?

No Justified. No Sons of Anarchy. No love for any of it's quirky, off-beat comedies. American Horror Story got a little bit of recognition, in the form of a Best Drama nod and Jessica Lange for supporting actress, but really that just makes it sadder. Horror has made a big splash of late, but it's not that great of a show, and it's Ryan Murphy, so it will be horrible within the next season and a half. Plus, I know Jessica Lange used to be a movie star or whatever, but she is, um... not actually a good actress. Sorry, universe. You may smite me down at any time.


See, somebody is watching Boss!

Apparently overseas, they are paying attention to Kelsey Grammer's brilliant performance as the twisted Tom Kane on the massively-underwatched Boss. This will go a long way to sustaining the show, I think. Starz has already committed to two seasons of this politico drama, so expect ratings to pick up next year when people can catch up on the first season on DVD. Because, seriously, who has Starz?


Stop nominating scenery chewers!

I've already railed on Jessica Lange, so I'll leave her alone, but allow me to point out a few more actors who were nominated for the sheer force of their intense gazing and random inappropriate yelling: Jeremy Irons for The Borgias and Callie Thorne for Necessary Roughness. Do you realize that Callie Thorne was nominated over Emilia Clarke (Game of Thrones), Connie Britton, Elizabeth Moss, and freaking Katey Sagal?

Um, no.

Wrong.


Stupid comedy nominations never get it right.

David Duchovny over Joel McHale? Really?

Nothing for Community at all? Or Cougar Town? Or Happy Endings? Or Raising Hope?

No love for the men on Parks and Recreation? No Best Comedy nomination for that show, which I maintain is the best comedy on television, is really just completely insane. I mean, seriously, you nominated Glee. Are you distracted enough by all the mediocre singing and dancing you can ignore the hackneyed storylines and pedantic acting? Oh, I see, you were driven insane by Matthew Morrison's tiny little ukulele and the gross lack of judgement that led to his solo album.

No nomination for Steve Carell?

Really?

What is wrong with you, Globes? Are you completely insane? No, you're right, let's nominate the outstanding acting work of Thomas freaking Jane, who has about as much facial expression as Kristen Stewart and less charisma, but ignore the final performance of a brilliant actor playing one of the most seminal comedy characters on television. No, you're right, that makes perfect sense.

Morons.

OK, so maybe I'm a little pissed.








If you are too, yell about it in the comments! And be sure to Like me on Facebook and follow me on Twitter (@theTVFreak).

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. whoops. i'll try that again. looks like someone got up on the wrong side of the remote. but i feel your pain. their nods to 'boss' don't make up for all their sins of commission or omission. no 'good wife.' no 'justified?' thomas jane? come on, globes. don't get all emmy on us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ok. you are my best friend and i love you but somewhere in the grand scheme of the universe we stopped having the same taste in comedies. But I also feel there isn't really a great comedy on TV right now anyway.

    That being said, I couldn't disagree with you more about Jessica Lange. American Horror Story is great too. I realize it is Ryan Murphy and we've had this conversation about 100 times but he is doing something different with this show that might actually work for him. Every season is a new cast and new story line...so there's that.

    I agree with you about Steve Carell. And the awards this year were just weird. Including the movie portion. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree. With ALL OF IT.
    And I'm pissed that Mandy Patinkin wasn't nominated...WTF GLOBES?? HE'S LIKE THE BEST PART OF HOMELAND!!!!!

    ReplyDelete