Thursday, April 5, 2012

Like This, Watch That, Don't Bother

Oh, my darling Freaks. I'm so sorry it's been so long.

I have no excuse.

Might I make my apologies in the form of overly dramatic TV recommendations and put downs?

Excellent. Let's do this!


If you like: 

Mean Girls

Watch: 

Suburgatory

This show has really slipped under the radar, but manages to be irreverent and really funny every week. Jane Levy's witty and sarcastic deadpan Tessa is the perfect compliment to the fluffy fun cast of characters, and Cheryl Hines is really superb. It's doing well in ABC's comedy block, so I expect it will be back next year, which is good news for fans of this smart, mocking gem. Also, Alicia Silverstone is set to guest star with Jeremy Sisto!

Um...do I know you from somewhere? 




Don't bother with: 

GCB

I was excited for this show, about a reformed mean girl who moves back to her hometown and has to deal with the conniving drama of all the girls she wronged, but it just didn't live up to the potential for me. Don't get me wrong, it's not bad, it's just not as good as I wanted it to be. The ratings have been lackluster as well, so don't expect these bitches to be back for a season two.

Don't worry, sweetie, those boobs will get a new show! 



If you like: 

Revenge

Watch: 

Scandal 

This show premieres tonight on ABC (10/9) and although I've only been able to see part of the pilot, I was totally hooked. It's a great cast, it's an exciting premise for a procedural, and honestly- there's a West Wing super-fast-banter vibe that just makes my heart go pitter-pat. The show is getting good reviews, and promises lots of good soapy drama from creator Shonda Rhimes, so give it a shot tonight if that seems like your thing.

Don't bother with: 

Ringer

Aw, I kinda hate this, because the show has really picked up the pace and thrown lots of twisty, crazy plotlines at me, but the ratings are just not good enough for the CW to justify the price tag. Bye, SMG! We'll always have Sunnydale....

It's a shame, there's much more side boob in the city. 




If you like: 

Dawson's Creek

Watch: 

Don't Trust the B---- in Apartment 23

This show premieres on April 23 on ABC, but I've seen the first few episodes and while I'm not entirely sure I'm sold on the show as a whole, I am completely sold on the awesome James Van Der Beek, playing himself to hilarious effect. If you were a fan of the Creek, you are definitely going to want to check this show out, if for no other reason than to watch him roll his eyes at Paula Cole songs.

Also, the Beek got hot.


Don't bother with: 


Cougar Town

This breaks my heart, Freaks, it really does, because this show built a dedicated fan base last year and had a decent shot of becoming a ratings success this year, but it got screwed by ABC's stupid scheduling and lack of support. Despite Dawson alum Busy Philipps' awesome performance (the best of the whole cast, in my opinion) it won't live to see the fall. I'll miss you, show!

I wonder how I will deal with the pain?


If you like: 

TV shows that should have been movies

Watch: 

Awake or Missing

Awake is really good, but it turns out the complicated plot would have been better suited for a movie - it feels slow and unsustainable. Missing would have been a terrible movie, but at least it would have only been like 90 minutes of Ashley Judd's weird new face delivering awful dialogue and running.

Stop it right now.


Don't bother with: 

Either of them actually, they are both totally cancelled.



Worried about the fate of any of your other favorite shows? Post them in the comments or on the Facebook page, and I'll get you the goods in an upcoming post! 

1 comment:

  1. Love it. If you like TV, read TV Freak. Don't bother with any other blog.

    ReplyDelete