Friday, April 13, 2012

Things I Love/Things I Hate

Thing I Love: 

After the casting of my hero Eddie Izzard as Grandpa and reading this great interview with creator Bryan Fuller, I'm officially pumped for the Munsters reboot, Mockingbird Lane. I'm also excited that NBC has such a buzz-worthy and potentially awesome show on its hands. It feels like they could give fantasy success story Once Upon a Time a little competition, especially if they pair the show with Grimm for a family friendly night of cool supernatural TV. Don't screw this up, NBC.

It's Hogwarts Orange County! 


Thing I Hate: 

Yeah, I won't hold my breath, because they put new sitcom Best Friends Forever on Wednesday night "Happy Hour" (vomit) where this smart, funny, engaging show that features women who are not the ones I want to stab in the face (Yep, talking about you, Whitney) has been buried underneath other, shittier shows. It's a shame. I'd tell you to watch it, but between the terrible name, complete lack of promotion, and banishment to the most shameful "girl's night" of television ever, I don't have much hope of it lasting.

My hell = NBC Wednesday nights.


Thing I Love: 


Fairly Legal has stepped up, and with the addition of witty-banter Ben (Ryan Johnson), has become a more well-rounded, fun and fluffy weekly escape. The brewing love triangle with Kate, Ben and ex-hubby Justin make it feel like a rom-com, it's great to see Lauren become a complete character, and I'm loving the addition (however shortlived it may be) of Tahmoh Penikett - plus, it was amusing to see Helo and Anders in suits.

And again, I can not emphasize this enough - I went to college with the black guy.



Thing I hate: 

Scandal is not The West Wing. I'm not saying it's not a good show; it is and I enjoy it and plan to keep watching, but it has potential I'm not sure it's going to embrace. There are brief glimpses of the show it could be, but I'm not sure that either creator Shonda Rhimes or ABC have the stones to let it. I want more for lead character Olivia Pope (played with vulnerable aplomb by Kerry Washington) than just being heartbroken- I hope that they can allow her to become the well rounded female lead I want her to be - a fiercely smart woman who uses the system she knows to fight for those who need her. I want the show to live into, not shy away from, it's potential intelligence and genuine moral complexity. You can be more than a soap, more than a procedural, Scandal. Smart people like TV too.

Although I see how you could be confused.



Thing I Love: 

Matt Bomer on Glee. Matt Bomer should be on all shows, always. And he should always be singing.




Thing I Hate: 

I had to say goodbye to both Happy Endings and psych until fall. Boo.



So what do you think, Freaks? Any TV tirades you're dying to share? Head to the comments! That's also where you can post your burning questions for the next round of Ask the Freak, coming soon! Or you can email me, or Facebook me, or hit me up on Twitter (@theTVFreak), or text me, or hire an airplane to follow me around with one of those giant banner signs.

Whatevs, it's up to you.

But seriously, bonus points for the airplane.


2 comments:

  1. I'm admittedly in LOVE with Smash and Revenge. So, of course, these shows will now be cancelled.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do not worry, darling- they have actually BOTH already been renewed. It looks like your curse is broken!

    ReplyDelete