Monday, January 17, 2011

Crazy couples, sassy attorneys, and Chandler Bing: Spring 2011 TV Preview

Midseason pilots are often really awful, and this year seems to be shaping up to be no exception. While we wait for the return of the stuff we already know and love, let's take a moment to see what else you should be adding to your Tivo this spring.

Mad Love- (CBS, Monday, 8:30/7:30) This new sitcom starring Sarah Chalke and Jason Biggs could really go either way. If it manages to be funny and heartfelt, it could follow in the footsteps of lead-in How I Met Your Mother, but the we're-in-love-but-our-best-friends-hate-each-other plot line could fall into boring sitcom cliche in a hurry. Based on casting pedigree alone (Yay, Judy Greer!) I'm giving it a shot, but I'm not expecting fireworks.

Mad Love could be something we've seen before, like this set, which is totally MacLaren's from HIMYM. 

Harry's Law- (NBC, Monday 10:00/9:00) Everybody loves Kathy Bates. Big movie star, yada, yada. I just don't know that this show is going to keep my interest. I mean, do we really need another sassy, play-by-her-own-rules attorney? Oh, NBC. You are killing the only shows that are remotely good (Chuck) and you keep putting more derivative drivel on. What's your damage?

Sassy!

Traffic Light - (FOX, Tuesday 9:30/8:30) A sitcom revolving around the married guy, the dating guy and the single guy. Like Rules of Engagement, but actually funny. Starring several unknowns and a couple Hey-it's-that-guy! (David Danman from The Office and Kris Marshall from Love Actually) I think it will rest on the strength of the writing, and based on what I've seen so far, I have surprisingly high hopes.


All sitcom promo pictures look the same.


Happy Endings - (ABC, Wednesday 10:00/9:00) Part of the new three-hour comedy bock ABC is trying on Wednesdays, and surrounded by comedy power-houses Modern Family and Cougar Town, this is the only spring show whose previews have made me laugh out loud. Starring Zachary Knighton, who I loved on FlashForward, and Casey Wilson, who was criminally fired from SNL, this show has the best potential of all the spring shows, not in the least because it feels original. I know, sometimes I forget TV can do that too.

See?
 Perfect Couples - (NBC, Thursday 8:30/7:30) This is the only show on the list I have seen a complete episode of, and it's a mixed show. I adore Kyle Bornheimer and Christine Woods as Dave and Julia, the "normal couple" of the three, but the rest of the cast is often annoying and rarely funny. It's a shame the entire show isn't just about Dave and Julia, but I think it would have been particularly aided by the re-casting of Rex (Hayes MacArthur) and Leigh, the incredibly wooden Olivia Munn. Certainly not must-see, no matter what NBC says.

Yep.
Fairly Legal - (USA, Thursday 10:00/9:00) I love the USA shows. They're fun, flirty, funny little hours of TV that give me pretty actors (like White Collar hottie Matt Bomer) and characters I want to have a beer with (Psych's dynamic duo Shaun and Gus). I want to like Fairly Legal. I hope that it will deliver exactly what lead-in Royal Pains does every week; frivolous entertainment. With the inaugural season already cut from 12 episodes to 10 by USA, the pilot is going to have to make me a believer.


I went to college with the black guy.

Mr. Sunshine- (Wednesday, 9:30/8:30) Matthew Perry. Alison Janney. On the same show. Let me say that again, so that it can sink in. Matthew Perry and Allison Janney on the same show. The same show. I am terrified that this will be awful. Please don't let it be awful. It's going to be brilliant, right? Right?



Could I be any more excited? Sorry, had to be done.


Things I'm not bothering to talk about: Body of Proof (It's another Medical Examiner, you know if you want to watch it), Criminal Minds: Suspect Behavior (Again, you know), Friends With Benefits (more derivative NBC crap), Being Human (watch the original BBC version instead of this hacky remake), and Off The Map (Grey's Anatomy in the jungle!).

No comments:

Post a Comment