Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Sucks to be you!

I hate awards shows.

Don't get me wrong, I love them, and I watch all of them, but they make me crazy. With the Oscar noms this morning and the SAG awards this weekend, I felt like this was a good time to do a little pointless ranting about it. Now we all know these awards are mostly political, and rarely award the person who most deserved it (particularly when it comes to TV) but that has never stopped my bitching about it in the past, and it isn't going to work now.

Nope, my mind is made up.

I used to be an actress (I have the very expensive BFA to prove it) so I actually know what goes into good acting. I think comedy is criminally underrated at awards shows, and I think subtle performances, which are often the most difficult as an actor, don't make for a very exciting highlight reel so they get ignored. In short, awards shows are stupid.

But I love them.

But they're stupid.

So these are the actors on TV that I think are truly brilliant, and will never, ever, ever get nominated:

Donald Glover, "Troy Barnes", Community

Glover is exceptional as the sometimes-stupid foil to the more popular Abed in Community's great ensemble. Ensemble shows are hard for awards shows, they get all confused by the choices, so if they are going to award an ensemble show, they are going to pick one "favorite". (See: Barney Stinson) Unfortunately for the stellar Glover, it's never going to be him. (Chevy Chase is a movie star, Alison Brie is a cute girl, and Danny Pudi plays a weirdo, which they love.) Seriously, just watch his face in this throw-away episode endcap and tell me this is not pure brilliance:

Community - Ep 212: Kettle Corn Rocks - Video - NBC.com


Emily Deschanel, "Dr. Temperance (Bones) Brennan", Bones

I'm surprised that Deschanel has never earned a major acting nom for this role, because the character is really a weirdo, which as we have established, awards shows love. I think it's due to the ease with which she performs, making the Bones character, who could have been immensely unlikable, one of the best on TV. Her old Hollywood chemistry with David Boreanaz, especially in the early seasons, is great, and she consistently has heartbreaking emotional moments. It's too subtle of a performance for voters, but richly deserves to be recognized.

This was hilarious, promise.

Alyson Hannigan, "Lily Aldrin", How I Met Your Mother

Yeah, NPH is awesome. Really, this is a well-acted show by everyone involved. But Hannigan is really amazing. You wouldn't really notice, because she makes it look so effortless, but she has great comedic timing and brings real heft to the show's more serious moments. She's never afraid to look stupid in the pursuit of a joke, and she knows just how to underhand a line to make it funnier than it was on paper. Plus, she is the best crier on TV. Seriously, look at this face:


Wouldn't you kill fluffy baby bunnies if it would make her stop crying?

Nolan Gould, "Luke Dunphy", Modern Family

Everyone on this show is great, and there has been a lot of fuss made about how great the kids are, but people mostly pay attention to Rico Rodriguez's Manny. My money is on Luke, played with aplomb by Gould. This kid gets better every week, and as hilariously as he is written, the performance is what makes it. Surrounded by professional adult comedians, this kid shines week after week. Just watch the first 16 seconds of this clip, and try not to spit Diet Coke on the computer screen (Oh, that just me?):

Modern Family - Slow Down Your Neighbors


Timothy Olyphant, "Raylan Jennings", Justified

I went back and forth here about whether to add Olyphant or Walton Goggins, who plays Boyd and is outstanding, but I figure if this show ever manages to get on the awards radar, it will be Goggins who earns the nod. Awards shows love crazy, and Boyd Crowder is nothing if not crazy. It's a shame, really, because both actors deserve to be recognized for their amazing work on this show, which I think is one of the best on TV. Olypahnt is brilliant as the tortured, difficult Marshall Jennings. You should be watching this show.

Here is some incentive.  

Christian Kane, "Eliot", Leverage

This is a weird choice, and I have no idea if anyone watches this show but me, but I'm constantly surprised by Kane and what he brings to what could easily be a one-note character. He's the muscle in Leverage's family of thieves, and manages to never allow the character to descend into cliche. There's life behind his eyes, you know? This is a fully-formed character with demons and desires that Kane uses in a surprisingly deep performance. Plus, he sings:

                                                                                      Um, hot.


Brian Van Holt, "Bobby", Cougar Town

OK, so I know I kinda can't shut up about this show, but it's really funny, and you should be watching it. Really. Everyone on the show is really excellent, but the most impressive performance is from Van Holt, who once again plays a character that could have easily become a bumbling redneck stereotype. Instead, he makes Bobby a character with real heart, someone we laugh at, but ultimately care about a lot. If you've ever seen Van Holt in anything else, you'll know just how different Bobby is from anything else he has played, which of course makes it all the more impressive. I hope that the awards will wake up and notice this show soon, but I fear the bigger names will outshine Van Holt's great work. Penny can!


Perhaps not the best photo to use to convince you he's not a stereotype...

OK, awards shows, are you listening? Start noticing the work of these fine actors. Oh, and if it helps, you can stop nominating Mariska Hargitay and Hugh Laurie. They've been mailing it in for years.

2 comments:

  1. Totally agree with you on Glover and Gould all the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Raylan rules, but you gotta give it to Boyd. So good you really don't know if he truly has repented or just pretended. And oh by the way, Justified is hands-down, no-contest, not-even-close the Best Drama on TV.

    ReplyDelete