Friday, February 4, 2011

Rocking Your World

Do not ever say that I am one to run from a fight! (Although I totally am. I will run like like Charlie Sheen chasing a hooker.) When my boys wanted to know the top ten TV theme songs of all time, I accepted the challenge.

And then kicked its ass.

That's right, Freaks, this Friday brings a very special:

Top Twenty Greatest TV Theme Songs

Let me briefly intro this masterpiece of jingle by saying, first, I used the word "song" up there specifically; I did not feature any themes without words. We'll save those for a later list. And also, I apologize for whichever of these lovely tunes gets stuck in your head for the next two weeks.

20. Facts of Life

The 80's was the golden age of the TV theme song, and this one exemplifies it perfectly. It encompases the basic plot of the show, while also giving us all a little lesson to grow on, too. Of course, it makes no sense if you bother to think about it, but hey, they tried!




19. Blossom

Most of you probably won't even remember this theme song, but it was good, better than most of the early-90's genre. Plus, it gives Joey Lawrence and Mayim Bialik a chance to booty-bump in the intro and makes up a word. Awesome.




18. Psych

It's a really great intro to start with, but what really makes this song genius is the way the show uses it. The creators frequently record new versions of the theme based on the episode, which is just really fun. Here's one by Boyz II Men:


17. Welcome Back, Kotter

I know this is a good theme song, because I know it and I have never, ever seen a single episode of this show. I think it was about a teacher. I'm guessing there was a stoner kid, a girl in tight pants with Farrah hair, and an angry black kid. How'd I do?


16. Full House

How many of you will forever hear the dulcet opening "Ahh ahh ahh" of this song whenever you see an establishing shot of the Golden Gate Bridge? And seriously, what did happen to predictability? Better yet, what does that mean?


15. Duck Tales

This is a rockin' song, with a seriously kickin' baseline. Look for Lil' Wayne to sample shortly.


14. The Brady Bunch

This list is just not complete without this song.


13. A Different World

I know every word to this song. God, I really, really loved this show. I also love the very last sassy high note here:


12. Family Guy

This theme makes fun of "family" entertainment, all of the themes on this list, and the show itself. Plus, baby drops an F-bomb.


11. Rawhide

Kept from the top ten only by the fact that I think most people my age know this better for the puppy chow commercial than for the actual show. Still awesome.



10. Saved By the Bell

When I was between the ages of seven and eleven, the opening bell in this song provoked a Pavlovian response of extreme tween sqealing. I apologize to my parents.


9. The Dukes of Hazzard

They were just good ole' boys. Trying to make a living. (Wait, maybe that's a different song...)


8. The Adams Family

This song is so good, it took a series of snaps and ensured that you will never be able to think of anything else when you hear them. Beat that.


7. Cheers

Making your way in the world today takes every thing you've got. But it's better with beer.



6. The Jeffersons

Damn it. Now I just want a piece of pie.


5. Monk

Oh, Randy Newman. I love you. How do you write such hauntingly beautiful theme songs? Seriously, how do you do that? It's such a weird talent.


4. Friends

In addition to being a classic one-hit wonder (8 weeks on top the Billboard charts!)  this is a perfect song for this show. (This clip is a weird fun one I found, since I know you are all now singing the original in your heads.)


3. The Fresh Prince of Bel Air

Hey, remember when Will Smith was a goofy guy on TV, and not trying to groom his children to take over the world? Good times.



2. The Golden Girls

If you threw a party, the biggest gift would not be from me, because I am broke. But I've got a hug with your name all over it!


1. Sesame Street

Because you do not mess with the Street.





I'd like to give shout outs to our Honorable Mentions: Scrubs, Fraggle Rock, Darkwing Duck, The Fairly Odd Parents, Land of The Lost, Jem, Good Times, Animaniacs, Step by Step and The Love Boat.

Did I miss something? Yell at me in the comments!

6 comments:

  1. Extra points are in order for Sesame Street...brilliant...
    However i'm sure some rabid Monk purist will get made at you leaving out the original theme song which was a minor point of contention among fans...screw um...the Newman theme perfectly encompases the isolation and alienation of Adrian Monk. The old theme was too...peppy.
    Nice pick with Rawhide..it was my number one...might even sing at kareoke

    Wha?...no Miami Vice eh?....tsk tsk

    ReplyDelete
  2. no apology, necessary, angel. and sesame street rules. obviously everyone will have his/her own list. in my day, hard to beat 'batman' theme. or beverly hillbillies. or the monkees. or the partridge family. or the tonight show. or mission impossible. or bonanza. and check out the cool (and amazingly long) jazz riff for 'the name of the game.' i could go on, but your brother is looking like he might throw up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh. and how could i forget. the greatest tv theme song of all time: the pink panther by the great henry mancini (who also did 'peter gunn' theme)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm in complete disagreement with your choice of "Psych". If you are going to discuss interchangeable theme songs for a show then the choice is really obvious: "Weeds". This show's theme song should have made the list regardless; it's cooky, corny, theme appropriate, and they sing it in different languages and musical genres for ever episode...plus the show rocks.

    Major bonus points, however, for "Duck Tales" which might become your ring tone on my phone

    Lastly, David and Brad bring up some excellent choices for a "top theme song" list so I hope their thoughts were in contention though I did enjoy that this list was rather gay in the gayest sense of the word. And also must remind David that you said at the the top that this list was for theme songs WITH words but agree that "The Pink Panther" theme song is rather genius.

    ReplyDelete
  5. good point, chad. i've never been good at following instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey catching up on old stuff - i agree with chad..."little boxes" done every-which-way is awesome!

    ReplyDelete