Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Wait, what?

Sometimes I like to think of this blog as my own little public service. I'm just helping out my peeps, trying to keep you from wasting your time on stupid TV, and  helping you find the good stuff that will bring a big smile to your face.

You're welcome.

In excitement over tonight's season 2 premiere of Justified (which, of course you are now watching because you take my words as TV gospel) I thought I would tell you about a few other TV gems you should be watching that might have slipped by you.


I do not know how to be more convincing.  


Being Erica - SoapNet



Do not freak out. I know it says SoapNet, but this Canadian-produced (CBC) show would have been equally at home on ABC, USA, or even SyFy. Erica is a thirty-something with a crazy family, no boyfriend, dead-end job, blah, blah. You know the drill. She gets an upper hand from her "therapist" Dr. Tom, who wants to help Erica with her regrets by sending her back in time. That's right, it's time travel therapy! Done poorly, that conceit could have been a total train wreck (the American remake coming in the fall could prove this) but because this is a well written and well acted show, it proves to be moving and interesting. Lead Erin Karpluk is adorable and really watchable, and has the best name on TV. Seriously, Karpluk? So much fun!



Archer - FX





This raunchy, subversive adult cartoon is taking on spies like The Venture Brothers took on superheroes, and doing a bang-up job of it. (See what I did there?) With voices from H. Jon Benjamin, Aisha Tyler, Judy Greer, Chris Parnell and the always brilliant Jessica Walters, Archer is like if Barney Stinson were raised by Lucille Bluth and they opened a spy agency together. It's witty, it's R-rated, and it's funny as hell.



Raising Hope - FOX



This show did not hook me in the beginning, which given it's Greg Garcia (My Name is Earl) pedigree was really surprising, but it has quietly turned into one of the best shows on TV. Garcia, as Earl fans will remember, has a talent for wringing funny out of down-on-their-luck protagonists, and finding the sweet in the middle of broad humor. This show is a rarity on TV; a well-written family sitcom that is realistic but not corny, where the characters actually like each other. I could mostly care less about Cloris Leachman as the crazy Maw Maw, but I think Garret Dillahunt is hilarious as the Dad and Martha Plimpton is really a treat to watch. Plus, cutest baby ever.

And because I am so helpful, I have an update on Raising Hope's follower, newcomer Traffic Light. I previewed this show in the Spring TV post, and my hunch held true. So unless you find "Men are stupid and women are shrews!" type jokes hilarious, don't bother.

You're welcome.

3 comments:

  1. garret dillahunt is one of the most underrated actors on tv. the robot on 'sarah chronicles.' wacky/shifty jack mccall on deadwood. now this. the guy has range.

    ReplyDelete
  2. meg - should i do the last season recap on justified or just pick up now? i've seen the season two ads and it does look interesting (i always find sexy guys "interesting")

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Carol - The first season is great, but I think you can just start the second season. I would try to find the first episode (FX re-runs a lot, so shouldn't be a problem) and here's a good re-cap of the first, just so you can get your bearings: http://www.ew.com/ew/gallery/0,,20464576,00.html

    ReplyDelete