Thursday, July 14, 2011

Oh, Emmy.


What did I say, Freaks?

The Emmy's, just like every other awards show, are disappointing. You hope that things will change, you think every year, "This is the year that things will be different!"

But you are wrong.

It will be exactly the same.

Nominations were announced this morning (you can find the full list here) and there are a few things I'd like to say to you, Emmy voters. This might hurt a little.

You are stupid.

No nomination for Justified? I wouldn't expect you to notice something as brash and interesting as Sons of Anarchy, but Justified is right up your alley! It's a redemption story, full of betrayal and accents, and it's better than every single show you nominated in its place. Look, I get that Dexter is a good show, but this season was not as great as those previously. Game of Thrones and Boardwalk Empire deserve their nods for sheer scope and ambition, but Mad Men was not at its best, and Justified is just better than The Good Wife. I love The Good Wife. But Justified is better.

At least Timothy Olyphant got some love for the show in the form of an Outstanding Actor nod, which I realize is how you do things. You can't put the show as a whole in, its too small and too new, so he'll get to carry the honor with Walter Goggins, nominated for Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama. I know how you work, Emmy, but you can't expect me to be happy about it.

While we're on the subject of how well I know you, Hugh Laurie and Mariska Hargitay again? Really, Emmy? Are you confused about what constitutes acting? Look, I love both of those people, and I will occasionally catch an episode of L&O:SVU or House, and I enjoy myself just fine. They are perfectly consistent, well-done performances. That is not what you are supposed to be nominating. "Outstanding Actor/ess In a Lead". Do you know the definition of outstanding?

No you do not, because you nominated Hargitay's pedestrian performance over the unbelievable brilliance of Katey Sagal, which is just criminal. She was so good last season you should be genuinely ashamed of yourselves. I'm ashamed of you.

Kathy Bates, indeed. Bullshit.

Always the same, Emmy, you're always the same. Nominating safe shows like The Big Bang Theory over more interesting and un-formulaic comedies like Community and Raising Hope. Why couldn't you try a little harder, Emmy? Just a toe outside of the box, that's all I ask.

It's fine, we all know no one is beating Modern Family anyway.

Once again, you missed the one lead actress who should have been a lock by not nominating Toni Colette for the final season of The United States of Tara. She plays seven people. Think about that. She plays seven people, and she is astonishing. But, nah, I'm sure Melissa McCarthy's sit-com prat falls are much more impressive on the derivative Mike and Molly!

I've got no major problems with the Comedy Actors, either supporting or lead, but I maintain that the idiots over at Parks and Recreation are mad they didn't listen to me about which category Nick Offerman and Rob Lowe belonged in, because, oh, look, no nods for either. You have to play the politics, kids.

Jon Cryer got nominated because people feel sorry for him. Which makes me feel sorry for him.

So how did I do on predictions, my dearest Freaks?

I missed:

1 Lead Actor in both Comedy and Drama
2 Lead Actresses in both Comedy and Drama
2 Supporting Actors in both Comedy and Drama
0 Supporting Actresses in both Comedy and Drama

(God, don't you love it when stuff works out like that? I am a huge nerd.)

and 1 show, in Best Comedy Series.

So pretty alright, I'd say.

The Emmy Awards air September 18th. In the mean time, don't you want to get in on all this snark and anger? Head to the comments!

1 comment: