Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Shoulda, Woulda, Coulda



Oh, Emmy, Emmy, Emmy. How you never do what I want you to do.

Nominations will be announced on July 14th, so here at the TV Freak, we're going to bring you a brand new fun-filled adventure game called "Who Will? Who Should?"

Yes, I know. I'm so very clever.


Lead Actor in a Comedy

Who Will Get Nominated:

Alec Baldwin, 30 Rock
Steve Carell, The Office
Matthew Morrison, Glee
Jim Parsons, Big Bang Theory
Louie C.K., Louie C. K.
Matt LeBlanc, Episodes

Who Should:

I'm fine with giants Carell and Baldwin, but Johnny Galecki should get Big Bang's nom over Parsons, who was very one-note this season. I'm totally over Matthew Morrison, so shoot some paintball love over Joel McHale's way for his great turn on Community (Also a possibility over the more random Louie and LeBlanc). Nathan Fillion would get my vote for Castle, but unfortunately for him, the show is listed in the much-more-competitive Drama category. I'd also love to see Zach Levi get props for the great balancing act he's doing on Chuck, but the everyman never gets noticed. Sorry, guy who plays Mike on Mike and Molly. No awards shows for you.


Ever!

Lead Actress in a Comedy

Who Will Get Nominated:

Tina Fey, 30 Rock
Amy Poehler, Parks and Recreation
Toni Colette, The United States of Tara
Edie Falco, Nurse Jackie
Lea Michelle, Glee
Laura Linney, The Big C

Who Should:

I have no qualms about the brilliant Toni, Tina, or Amy, and though I do not watch The Big C, Laura Linney is supposed to be brilliant, so we'll give that as well. But I'd like to see one-face Michelle and phoning-it-in Falco traded for the awesome Courtney Cox (Cougar Town) and the equally amazing Martha Plimpton (Raising Hope).


The one face? This one.


Lead Actor in a Drama

Who Will get Nominated:

Michael C. Hall, Dexter
Jon Hamm, Mad Men
Hugh Laurie, House
Steve Buschemi, Boardwalk Empire
Sean Bean, Game of Thrones
Timothy Olyphant, Justified

Who Should:

This is the hardest category for me to call. I have the horrifying feeling that Olyphant or Bean might be left off the list for more awards-show friendly actors like Ray Romano (Men of a Certain Age), and I think there could be surprise attacks from William H. Macy (Shameless), Peter Krause (Parenthood) or even Tom Selleck (Blue Bloods). Awards shows love to award the actors they love to award, you know? It would be nice if they would leave off Laurie for a more interesting choice like Charlie Hunnam, who had a fantastic season on Sons of Anarchy or Vincent D'Onofrio, who is still terrifyingly brilliant on the never-watched L&O: Criminal Intent.


Or, that's just his face.


Lead Actress in a Drama

Who Will Get Nominated:

Julianna Margulies, The Good Wife
Kyra Sedgwick, The Closer
Elizabeth Moss, Mad Men
Katey Sagal, Sons of Anarchy
Connie Britton, Friday Night Lights
Mariska Hargitay, Law and Order: SVU

Who Should:

Margulies and Sagal absolutely deserve to be on this list, and one of the two of them will win. Sedgwick and Hargitay were not really on their game this year, and there were much more interesting lady-cop performances from Jennnifer Beals (Chicago Code) and Mary McCormick (In Plain Sight). Dark horse candidate Michelle Enos (The Killing) could snag a spot from someone, and Kathy Bates (Harry's Law) is a movie star, but my money for the surprise nom is on Lauren Graham, who got to do a lot of big scenes on Parenthood. You know how voters love them come crying mama.


Almost as much as he does.


Supporting Actor in a Comedy

Who Will get Nominated:

Ty Burrell, Modern Family
Ed O'Neill, Modern Family
Eric Stonestreet, Modern Family
Chris Colfer, Glee
Neil Patrick Harris, How I Met Your Mother
Nick Offerman, Parks and Recreation

Who Should:

No, I take it back, this is the hardest category to call. Because most of the comedy shows I love are ensemble pieces, there are way too many good nominees here. I hate to think Jesse Tyler Ferguson will be the only Modern Family man to get left out, and I really think that whoever decided to put Nick Offerman as a supporting actor for Parks and Rec while Rob Lowe got listed as a lead (I'm guessing it was Rob Lowe) is an idiot, because they were guaranteed a nomination and possible win in the opposite category. Jason Segel did his best work on How I Met Your Mother this year, but will not beat out perennial favorite Harris because Barney Stinson's heart grew three sizes this year, and forget mentioning the great performances by Dani Pudi (who could possibly, possibly sneak in with a nod) and Donald Glover on Community. All that, and I haven't yet said Chris Pratt (Parks and Recreation), Ed Helms (The Office), Adam Palley (Happy Endings), or Keir Gilchrist who really, really deserves it for his outstanding performance on The United States of Tara. Thank god I don't have to vote.


I'll be fine.

Supporting Actor in a Drama

Who Will get Nominated:

Alan Cummings, The Good Wife
Peter Dinklage, Game of Thrones
Michael Shannon, Boardwalk Empire
John Slattery, Mad Men
Scott Bakula, Men of a Certain Age
Walton Goggins, Justified

Who Should:

Max Burkholder, Parenthood.


He's so bored with all his talent.


Supporting Actress in a Comedy

Who Will Get Nominated:

Julie Bowen, Modern Family
Jane Krakowski, 30 Rock
Jane Lynch, Glee
Sofia Vergara, Modern Family
Betty White, Hot in Cleveland
Kristen Wiig, Saturday Night Live

Who Should:

I will not argue with the awesome women from Modern Family, but I would otherwise change this list almost entirely if I could. Heather Morris and Naya Rivera are much better on Glee, Busy Phillips is killing it on Cougar Town, Alyson Hannigan (How I Met Your Mother) is one of the most underrated actresses on TV, and both Rashida Jones and Aubrey Plaza deserve noms for their stellar work this season on Parks and Recreation.


I'm surrounded by too many talented people!

Supporting Actress in a Drama

Who Will Get Nominated:

Christine Baranski, The Good Wife
Michelle Forbes, The Killing
Christina Hendricks,  Mad Men
Kelly MacDonald,  Boardwalk Empire
Margo Martindale, Justified
Archie Panjabi, The Good Wife

Who Should:

I think Emilia Clarke has a really good shot of sneaking on here for her bewitching turn on Game of Thrones, but otherwise I'll just be disappointed to see no love for the awesome Mae Whitman, who is always brilliant on Parenthood. Maggie Siff had a great year on Sons of Anarchy, but she will always be overshadowed by the superior Katey Sagal.


We will all just hate her for looking like this at fifty-seven.


Drama

Who Will Get Nominated:

Boardwalk Empire
Game of Thrones

Friday Night Lights
Dexter
The Good Wife
Mad Men

Who Should:

Justified. I don't care what you take out, Justified.


I need to see this man in a tuxedo.


Comedy

Who Will Get Nominated:

30 Rock
Parks and Recreation

Glee
Modern Family
The Big C
The Office

Who Should:

The Big Bang Theory might get it over Parks and Recreation, but it shouldn't. Glee's uneven season should give way to the superior Community, Raising Hope, or Cougar Town. I'm not picky, Emmy voters. Just stop giving me the same old stuff all the time!

Oh, I see. You can't.


Alright, Freaks, did you take notes to see how I'll do come Thursday? I wouldn't bet against me. I already have one friend who did.

I'm looking forward to taking his money.

1 comment:

  1. turn off the friday night lights. that party's over, dillon. like all great athletes, it hung on a season too long. it's time the emmys got justified, walt goggins got sanctified and margo martindale got glorified. amen.

    ReplyDelete