Friday, March 18, 2011

Gleeking Out

It's Friday! Let's get listy.




Top Ten Glee Plot Point Songs

In honor of this week's amazing Glee episode, which gave us great original songs, great character moments, and that kiss, this weeks' list is going to break down some of the show's best moments in numerical format. Please do not get me wrong. I loved "Forget You", I loved Brittany absolutely killing "Slave 4 U", and I love pretty much everything Blaine has ever sung. (I really love Darren Criss. Perhaps to a scary degree.) But this list is not the best of all Glee performances, it's the top ten best songs that were really used as plot points. Glee doesn't always go the "musical" route, with characters singing their feelings to the audience, and unlike some viewers, I'm actually OK with that. But I also appreciate the moments where the show is willing to step away from hit songs and themes, and just give us heartfelt performances that stick with us.


1. "Like a Virgin"

The Madonna episode was the best of what the theme idea had to offer, in that it felt organic to what was happening on the show. This song was shared by Rachel and Jesse, Finn and Santana, and Will and Emma, all of whom were trying to deal with the big decision. Great vocally, interesting stylistically, and fun.




2. "Dancing With Myself"

I love Artie. This brought a tear to my eye, and I thought it was not only a great song for Kevin McHale's excellent voice, but a great way to showcase the character's issues without being too melodramatic about it.


I'll dance with you, Artie. Unless Darren Criss is available, then you are on your own.


3. "Set Me Free"

A phenomenal song choice for Quinn to sing while dealing with her pregnancy/Finn/Puck drama, and the only time the Cheerios ever worked for me as back-ups.


Ok, not the best picture to prove my point.


4. "Dream On"

With the incomparable NPH killing the vocals on this and the song giving Matthew Morrison a rare chance to shine as well, this is one of my favorite songs on this list. I love the song as a rivalry, and the ridiculous staging makes it all the more amazing. Awesome.



5. "I Want To Hold Your Hand"

Kurt's most heartbreaking performance (in a long list of options) you have a heart made of stone if this doesn't make you a little misty.



6. "Defying Gravity"

Another stellar moment from Kurt and the first of the show's Diva-offs (honorable mention to the Mercedes/Rachel "Take Me or Leave Me") this song already gives me goosebumps, but lyrically is exactly what I want to hear from these two outcast characters.

Wow. Pictures do not really work with this, huh?


7. "To Sir With Love"

I would venture to guess that much of the audience watching this show had never heard this song, but it was an amazing choice to cap the season and to remind us how much all of the characters had grown in the first year. It was the perfect way for the kids to thank Mr. Schue for bringing them together. Plus, Matthew Morrison acts the hell out of this moment.



8. "Teenage Dream"

The introduction to Blaine and Kurt's first sense of comfort after leaving McKinley High, this was a great intro, and one of several examples where I prefer the Glee version to the original song. And Chris Colfer is absolutely brilliant in this moment. Oh, god! It makes my heart hurt.





9. "Get It Right"

One of the two original songs the New Directions performed at Regionals this past week, this awesome power ballad is one my favorite Rachel moments. Plus, it is just a really well written song. God, I heart power ballads. I loved "Loser Like Me" too, but this one makes the list for it's involvement in the Rachel/Finn/Quinn triangle. Anybody else over that, BTW?




10. "Don't Stop Believing"

The song that started it all, and the show's anthem. Look at how young they look!



So what do you think, my Gleek Freaks? What did I miss?


(Thanks to CS and MBM!)

No comments:

Post a Comment