Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Things I love/ Things I hate

I'm feeling a little overwhelmed by the TV greatness and awfulness we've been having, my dear Freaks, so let's break it all down!  



Thing I love: Last night's How I Met Your Mother was the show at its' absolute best. There was a quirky side-plot about Robin's dog-boyfriend, but the meat of the story saw Neil Patrick Harris' Barney struggling to deal with emerging feelings about Nora. It gave us an opportunity to see the Barney character grow, which is long overdue, but I appreciated that he failed in the end. I think him accepting those feelings would have been too much too soon for the character, but it gives me a new side of him for now, as well as hope for the future. It was sweet and sad, in that way that only HIMYM can pull off so well. Plus, lots of slapping!

Can I have one of those?

Thing I hate: Newcomer Mad Love, which follows the superior Mother is just really disappointing. I was so excited to see Judy Greer on my TV, and looking forward to the return of Sarah Chalke, but the show is just flat. Chalke is playing the same character she always does, Jason Biggs is cloying in his earnestness, and even Greer seems bored. The couple-with-the-best-friends-who-hate-each-other premise feels forced already (and it's only the third episode) and the chemistry is just not clicking. So sad.

No, just hate.


Thing I love: Being surprised by my shows. Community's Documentary episode two weeks ago was a great show, but Joel McHale's performance was particularly superb. He can act! Same goes for David Boreanaz in the 'Goodbye Hannah' episode (that's what I'm calling it) where the writers gave him a great ending scene and he really aced it. He cried. Well.

And then I did too. Not really!
 (Maybe a little bit.)

Thing I hate: Being surprised by my shows' fake promos. Look, Castle. I was excited about the big double episode, but don't put stuff in the promo that isn't going to happen in the episode, and don't edit  to make me think that something happens between the leads that turns out not to matter. I'm smarter than that, and I'm going to watch anyway. Promise.




Thing I love: Mr. Sunshine is good! Matthew Perry started the first few episodes a little too Chandler for my liking, but he's starting to get the hang of it, and Alison Janney is absolutely hilarious. I'm so delighted that this show lived up to it's promise, and that it's doing well, because I want to watch these people on my TV every week. Plus, the theme song is hilarious. Really.


Where are you my drunk, drunk friends?
Thing I hate: That ABC decided to hiatus Cougar Town for it. NBC is successfully running a three hour comedy block, and ABC has enough sitcoms in the works to do the same thing, so the scheduling of these shows is really confusing to me. Cougar Town has a strong loyal audience that would have moved to the 8:30 time slot and they could have gone ahead with the April-premiering Christian Slater comedy in the remaining block. Speaking of hiatus:


Thing I really, really hate: Bones is taking a three week break. Community is too, as well as two week breaks for Castle, Chuck, and How I Met Your Mother. Seriously? Why? There are 28 weeks from the middle of September to the middle of May, when most shows run, including the month long hiatus during the holidays. That means most shows need to do just four weeks of reruns, and I can not understand why they are not spread out more evenly among the season. I am a lot more patient with one week off then three. Stupid networks.


And one last little bonus to leave it on a happy note:

Thing I really, really love: It has just been announced that Josh Holloway is going to star in the paintball themed season finale of Community. I am literally hyperventilating at the hotness.

I think I need to sit down for a minute.

3 comments:

  1. i didn't realize that Alison was on "Mr. Sunshine"!! Off to Hulu I go!

    But before I go, and not that we are the biggest fans of Will Shuster at the moment, but Glee took at least a two week break though I'm starting to think it is because of Idol and not a random hiatus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok. i'll give mr. sunshine another chance. perry and janney deserve a second chance. and would the producers of HIMYM please give robin something to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "No, just hate." HILARIOUS!!! And I agree. It's not funny. It's just not. I think that new Traffic show on Fox is a lot better...

    ReplyDelete