Friday, March 25, 2011

Love and Marriage

So how awesome was last night's The Office?  My heart was so filled with fluffy love bunnies I shed an actual tear of sweetness. So cute. I love Holly and Michael together. Mostly because I like Michael a lot more when Holly is around.



I love it when weird people find their match.

So in honor of the adorable newly engaged couple, let's give them a list of people to look up to:


Top Ten Married Couples on TV



Virginia and Burt Chance, Raising Hope

Sure, they had a shotgun wedding as teens because of an unplanned pregnancy, but they've stayed in love while raising their son to have his own unplanned pregnancy. OK, maybe not great parents, but this sweet and clueless couple makes marriage look easy.


Any day now they're going to snap.


Brenda Lee Johnson and Fritz Howard, The Closer

They share a passion for their work and each other, and I love the silly and realistic fights they have. Plus, doesn't Fritz have the patience of a saint? He got her a new cat, he tries to make sure she eats dinner, and he looks after her parents every time they are in town, because you know she's running off to a murder scene. Man, there are a lot of murders in L.A.


"Sweetie, I can't go to the Getty, it's Saturday! I've got 37 dead hookers to deal with!"


Jack Donaghy and Avery Jessup, 30 Rock

The Reagan wet dream of marriages, these power-hungry conservatives might lead their own lives most of the time, leaving baby Liddy with the Trinidadian nanny, but when they are together? Fireworks. In red, white, and blue, natch.


"Yes, yes! I hate commoners too!"


Ellie and Andy Torres, Cougar Town

On the surface this couple seems like the epitome of bumbling moron and his bitchy wife, but the truth is much sweeter. They genuinely love each other, and Andy brings out the blink-and-you-could-miss-it vulnerable sweet side of Ellie. I miss you, show.


There is not enough awkward and snarky high-fiving on my TV without you.


Clay Morrow and Jemma Teller Morrow, Sons of Anarchy

These tough leather-clad characters stick together while dodging the law, rival biker gangs, and occasionally their own family members. Because, hey, nothing says "I love you" quite like "I'll help you cover up a murder".


Happy anniversary, honey, I got you a woodchipper and some bleach!

Peter and Ellie Burke, White Collar

This supportive couple seems to really like each other, which I'm a big fan of, and their genuine affection is rivaled only by my serious girl crush on Tiffani Thiessen.


She has smile lines! On her face!


Jim and Pam Halpert, The Office

Ok, I know a lot of people have felt that Jim and Pam have become smug and obnoxious in the last few seasons, but I can't agree. I adore the two of them and their eye rolling looks of amazement. I cheered when they got together, I teared up when he proposed, and I loved every second of their crazy double wedding. Yay, PB&J!

I want to cry just looking at this picture. Don't judge me.


Lily Aldrin and Marshall Erikson, How I Met Your Mother

The real heart of the show, this long-standing couple supports each other through thick (Marshall's Dad's passing) and thin (Marshall's adoption of a possum) and delights in their own weirdness. Mr. and Mrs. Awesome, indeed.

Mr. and Mrs. Awesome-Margarita are pretty cool too.


Christina and Adam Braverman, Parenthood

The parents' marriage is a mess, as are most of the kids' (Julia's poor little brow-beaten husband!) but Adam and Christina seem to be able to put up with not only the craziness of their family but the flaws in each other as well. And she thinks his dancing is cute! That's love.

Marriage: Dealing With Shit.


The Dunfees, The Pritchett-Tuckers, and The Pritchetts, Modern Family

I could not pick just one of this show's great couples, so I'm adding them all to the list. I adore how real these marriages seem to me, and how clearly these couples love each other. From Phil and Claire, who I think both must be the most patient people alive, to Cameron and Mitchell, who balance each other out perfectly, to Jay and Gloria, who gave each other a second chance at happiness; these couples just make me believe in happy beginnings.


There is one or more persons in this picture that I would like to adopt.

Now, quick, before I get even more sappy, yell at me for who I forgot!

1 comment:

  1. Fritz is the husband I want to be. Phil is the husband I fear I will become. Raymond is the husband I tend to be.

    ReplyDelete