Friday, March 4, 2011

Like Frasier, not Joey

Happy Friday, Freaks! This week's top ten is a good one, so let's all give a round of applause to the brilliant fellow TV Freak known as Dad.

Top Ten TV Characters Who Should Get Their Own Spin-Off


1. Justin Walker, Brothers and Sisters

B&S is about done, and thank goodness, because the show as a whole is on its' last leg, creatively. In fact, about the only character development the writers have bothered to do in the last year or two is with Justin, who has gone from being a spoiled brat to a mature, interesting character with genuine baggage. (Not the fake Sarah kind of baggage. Oh, my life is hard with my hot French fiance!) Now that he's an EMT, move him very very far away from all of the rest of them and give him a crew to ride around with in the back of an ambulance, saving lives.

Huh. That leaves a lot of people in this picture that I do not give a crap about.

2. Eliot Spencer, Leverage

This one has lots of options, thanks to the enjoyable Christian Kane. You could have him go solo back to his Kentucky roots, or give him a hot new girl partner to traverse the globe while kicking ass. Mostly, just the ass kicking part. My favorite option is a buddy cop style spy show with Hardison. How much fun would that be?

Ok, not as original as I thought.

3. Alexis Castle, Castle
Played with great humor and depth by young actress Molly Quinn, Alexis would absolutely be able to carry a show on her own. It would be a huge loss to Castle, because one of the show's best elements is the relationship between Alexis and her father, but she's going to have to go off to college sometime, right? Why not make her roomies with...

4. Haddie Braverman and Amber Holt, Parenthood

Often my favorite characters on the show, Amber and Haddie are also the only ones I would be interested in watching outside of the family structure. I see a Felicity type college-set drama, learning life lessons and dealing with guys. Are you listening, NBC? Seriously, it's better than what you have on. (Ahem, The Cape, ahem.)


See? The angst could reach Angela Chase-like proportions.

5. Kelly Kapoor, The Office

Kelly is my favorite side character on The Office (although I do love Erin too). I love her pop culture-isms and her blatant shallowness. I love how boy-crazy she is. I just think she's hilarious. I would totally watch her spin off where she moves to a paper company in a small town but tells them all she's from New York City, and tries to be all Carrie. "Who am I? I'm Kelly Kapoor, the business bitch."


All business, bitch.

6. Danny Williams, Hawaii 5-0

Scott Caan is wasted as Danny Williams, the only good thing on this pretty but terrible show. Pack up his kid, send him back to policing the streets in Jersey, and let him be a real cop. He'll be the first guy since Jerry Orbach to pull off those crime scene puns!

"Guess he won't have to pick up the dry cleaning! Get it? Cause he's dead."

7. Evan R. Lawson, Royal Pains

Royal Pains is a nice little show, but Evan (Paulo Costanzo) is definitely the best part of it. He could marry Paige, (the adorable Brooke D'Orsay) and spend his time trying to fit  into her super rich world. And coming up with crazy business schemes. And having more costume parties! That looked like fun. Somebody throw me a Great Gatsby party.


Oh, hilarious rich people!

8. April Rhodes, Glee

Kristin Chenowith only appeared as the awesome April Rhodes twice on the hit musical, but she made an impression. April is a great washed up singer with a love of booze and old guys to pay the bills, and if her spin off made good on her promise to take Branson by storm, how could you not watch that? It would be a cheesy delight. Speaking of small town theater...

9. Cameron Tucker, Modern Family

If Cameron found himself suddenly single and desperate for comfort, where better to head than to his small hometown in Missouri? He could run the local community center, put on shows with other clueless clowns, actors, and singers. Basically, it's Waiting For Guffman: The TV Show. And it would be hilarious.


Cameron Tucker in A Streetcar Named Desire

10. Erica Evans, V

You know, after the aliens have been defeated or died or left or whatever, she can be a supernatural investigating FBI agent. And this is in no way biased because I want my girl crush Elizabeth Michell to be on TV in a show I actually want to watch. Not at all.


She's in my five.

I have it on good authority that Eli Gold from The Good Wife should also be on this list, but I am not watching it so he is not. Sorry. I'm going to watch, promise! That's what summer is for.

So, what do you think, Freaks? Who else could pull off their own show?

3 comments:

  1. Does it have to be current TV Shows? I think Halo from "Battlestar Galactica" should definitely get a show but that might just be because I want to jump him. While Kurt on Glee couldn't have his on show, Blaine certainly could. And I'm loving Jenny-From-The-Block on Idol so much that I would watch reality show about her and the family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. inspired list. the two leverage guys as buddy cops would be a much better show. might even make a good movie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreed on Justin Walker and the girls on Parenthood. I think another one could be a spin-off of Lutz on 30 Rock...that guy cracks my shizzle up!!! Also, Cary and Kalinda on Good Wife...that could be another show with just the two of them...HOT.

    ReplyDelete